On the 23rd of April 2019, the Sharjah Investment and Development Authority unveiled two exciting and future deﬁning projects for the city. The Scroll and the House of Wisdom
The Scroll, this visually striking artwork is a contemporary interpretation of the ancient Arabic scroll and a monument to celebrate Sharjah as the UNESCO World Book Capital for 2019.
The House of Wisdom, due for completion in 2020, is an iconic Library and Cultural Center, designed by international architecture ﬁrm Foster & Partners.
House of Wisdom:
- Due for completion in 2020
- Designed by award-winning British architectural design and engineering firm Foster and Partners
- Extending over 12,000 square meters
- located by the Sharjah International Airport road and near the University City of Sharjah
- Thousands of physical and digital books
- Exhibition spaces
- Fabrication Lab
- World-class equipment to stimulate innovation and creativity
- Specialized digital application to facilitate navigating through books
- Print-on-demand book stations
- Discussion halls
- Reading areas (indoors and outdoors)
- A Restaurant/Cafe’
- Meeting Pods
- Children’s education space
- Dedicated women’s area
- Indoor and outdoor parking areas
This iconic library and cultural centre will be the newest addition to Sharjah’s numerous public offerings where books and knowledge can be openly accessed by people of all age groups and nationalities.
Reinterpreting the library as a social platform for learning supported by innovation and technology, the House of Wisdom represents a new moment for Sharjah as an international cultural capital.
- Rising 36 meters into the sky
- Made of 72 tonnes of steel
- 240 tonnes of concrete foundations
- Underneath a 4-metre wide base
- The spiraling sculpture by world-renowned artist Gerry Judah
Inspired by an ancient scroll design that represented the lasting power of books and how reading shares a strong purpose of uniting people together.
Shurooq started developing the monument after the World Book Capital’s International Committee named Sharjah World Book Capital 2019
It commemorates Sharjah’s landmark cultural achievement as the first city in the Gulf Region and third city in the Arab World, to be given this prestigious title.